Ghosts And Paranormal Phenomena

Famous UFO Abduction Stories

LaDonna Hatfield's image for:
"Famous UFO Abduction Stories"
Image by: 

While there are plenty of alien abduction stories to go around, I will address only two of them. The Betty and Barney Hill abduction story was the first to gain media attention with the book and subsequent movie "Interrupted Journey". The Hills had memories of seeing the UFO and wondering what it was, but it wasn't until they sought therapy for sleep problems and nightmares that their story came to light. As they related what they had experienced during hypnosis sessions, the therapist kept trying to lead them into more concrete and familiar explanations, but both of the Hills continued to relate what they had seen. Their therapist was in awe as they described the small beings that led them from their car to the UFO. While both Betty and Barney described the same occurrences, the emotional impact was far different for each.

Betty Hill was curious and wanted to know everything. She asked questions of her strange captors including asking them where they were from. She later drew a star map like the one she had been shown. At the time, in the early 1960's, her map was dismissed as a figment of her imagination. It wasn't until a full three decades later that astronomers found and mapped the stars that Betty Hill had drawn. When they did, her map matched the new configuration of stars at the boundaries of our solar system.

Barney Hill had a much more frightening experience than Betty. He was terrified of the alien creatures and of their invasive "medical" tests. Throughout his hypnotic description, he wanted only to get away from these strange beings. Furthermore, he did not want to believe what he had heard himself telling the therapist while under hypnosis. He struggled with the memories he had before the hypnosis sessions, and he struggled even more to make sense of what seemed impossible to him in the hypnosis sessions. He feared that he was losing his mind.

There are those who said that the Hills were simply seeking publicity. I find great fault with this theory. In the early sixties, Betty and Barney were breaking new ground as an interracial couple. The last thing they wanted was to bring attention to themselves because they received more than their fair share of it just by being together. Betty Hill attended UFO conventions as a guest speaker only after Barney died. Her inquisitive nature led her to want to know more about what had happened to them and to share her story with others who may have had similar experiences. The movie "Interrupted Journey" gives a pretty accurate account of the Hills' experience, and James Earl Jones is unforgettable as a frightened Barney Hill.

The other UFO abduction that is well documented enough to make the grade of authenticity is that of Travis Walton. If you see Travis Walton in an interview situation now, he is quiet and deliberate and thinks carefully before he speaks. Before his abduction, he was known as a bit of loud-mouth who didn't hesitate to offer his opinion. At the same time, his future brother-in-law, Mike Rogers, was the quiet one. The two worked together as loggers in Arizona. Along with their crew of five other men, they lived in Snowflake, Arizona, and logged in the mountains nearby.

In November of 1975, Travis and his crew were heading home from work when a disc-shaped, brightly lit UFO came over the treeline. When they stopped the truck to get a closer look, Travis got out and made his way underneath the UFO. The other men screamed for him to come back and could only watch helplessly when a blue-green light emanated from the underside of the UFO, striking Travis and lifting him off the ground. Terrified, they fled only to return minutes later to try to find Travis. He was not there.

For five days, Walton's crew was under scrutiny. They took lie-detector tests, they were interviewed for hours on end, and none of them ever changed their story. Law enforcement officials were convinced that the loud-mouthed Travis had been murdered by Mike Rogers because Travis was dating Rogers' sister. That theory was put to rest at the end of that five-day siege when Travis called from a phone booth at a gas station saying he needed help, to come and get him. When his brother and a co-worker arrived, they found Travis in the same clothes he had worn the night he disappeared. He kept talking about beings with big eyes on the way home to his mother's house. Travis believed that only a few hours had passed and was surprised to learn that he had been gone for days. He was unshaven and had lost weight. His hypnosis session detailed his account aboard a craft that contained both the typical "Gray" aliens about 5 ft. tall, and humans who refused to talk to him but motioned for him to follow them. An oxygen mask type of device was placed over his face, and Travis said he passed out. When he awoke, the UFO was hovering over the highway near the gas station, and when it shot away, he called for help.

One of the most interesting aspects of Travis Walton's case is the personality changes of both Travis and Mike Rogers. Travis now speaks in a quiet voice. He doesn't seem to mind if people question what happened to him, if they don't believe him, or if they make fun of him. His once quiet brother-in-law, Mike Rogers, now is the one who is offended by those who make light of Travis' claims. He is defensive and protective of the man he didn't want as a brother-in-law before the incident. Neither of the two have ever changed their stories of what they went through on the logging road and during the next five days.

Travis Walton took a polygraph test after the book and filming of the far less than accurate account of his abduction in the movie "Fire in the Sky". He did not have to take that test. The book had been sold, the movie had been made, and he could have been proven a hoaxer of a UFO event. However, Walton passed the polygraph, just as his crew had passed the polygraphs they were given while Travis was missing. What really happened to Travis Walton? We know only what he truly believes happened to him, and we know that there were multiple witnesses to the UFO. Walton doesn't do a lot of interviews anymore. In a simple working-man's ethic, you either believe what he has said or you don't. He leaves it at that.

More about this author: LaDonna Hatfield

From Around the Web