Conquering the fear of death starts with learning what death is and is not. Lets look three facts about death.
1. Death is unavoidable. As a living breathing human you are part of the ultimate statistic, ten our of ten people die.
2. Death is the end of biological life. When we die our physical body stops functioning.
3. Death exists in the world as the result of sin. All death began when Adam and Eve sinned against God.
4. Because humans are created in God's image we are triune beings. We have three parts; body, mind, and spirit. Our spirit does not die, but it does leave.
Some people fear death because they believe it is the absolute end. It is not. So step one to conquering the fear of death is to learn that you have a spirit and that your spirit is immortal.
Some people fear death because we are hard wired to fight to prolong our physical lives. That is our survival instinct. That fear is overcome when we put our reasoning ahead of instinct and know that death is unavoidable yet not absolute or absolutely final.
Some people fear death because they do not know what will happen to their spirit after their body dies. For those people I have great news. You can know the answer to that question. It is found in God's word, the Bible. So what does it have to say, lets look.
1. Everyone has sinned. "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23
2. Sin leads to death. "Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." James 1:15
3. God will judge sinful man. "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" Hebrews 9:27
4. The penalty for sin is death. "The Lake of fire is the second death." Revelation 20:14
5. We can not compensate for sin by trying to do good things. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faithand this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God ". Ephesians 2:8
6. Jesus paid the penalty for our sins with His death on the cross. "But we see Jesus He suffered death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone." Hebrews 2:9
7. If we accept Jesus and the pardon He bought us we will be spared and forgiven. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16
8. Once we accept the gift of life we should live for Him. "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
So there you have it. Death of our physical bodies is not the end. We go on to God and His judgment. If we accept Jesus Christ and His payment for sins then we need not be afraid of the judgment. So death no longer holds any fear for us.
How do you conquer the fear of death? Know what you are. Know who God is. Know what Jesus Christ did. Believe and trust Him. It really is that simple.